Wednesday 11 June 2008

Ok Ok Ok Ok Ok

So I watched a film just now called Totally Fucked Up by Gregg Araki. It's one of those New Queer Cinema films from the early nineties, I think 1993. This is to say, the acting is not great, the film was made for nothing and looks like it was made for less than nothing, and it's got an ending that, to me, screams "I don't know how to stop this, so I guess I'll do this now." Whatever. I love this film. I love love love love love this film. Here's the thing: This is one of the first times I've seen a queer film where the teenagers in it act like normal teenagers. The drama of dealing with monogamy, relationships with parents, apathy, violence, is fairly universal. The circumstances are different when you're gay, y'know, slightly, but I guess it's pretty fucked up either way. Every other gay movie ever deals with child abuse/ sexual abuse, and AIDS. A couple of those movies are pretty good, but jesus, there's more to being gay than getting touched as a kid and dying. Seriouly. Whatever, my thoughts are scattered, but this film wins.

No comments: